For upcoming events please visit www.taltech.ee/en/ecee.
The 5th international conference "Economic Challenges in Enlarged Europe" took place from 16 – 18 June 2013 in Tallinn, the capital of Estonia.
This conference series is organised by Tallinn School of Economics and Business Administration of the Tallinn University of Technology in collaboration with the Society for the Study of Emerging Markets (based in the USA) and Eesti Pank (Central Bank of Estonia).
The conference aims to bring together academics as well as practitioners to discuss topical issues and disseminate high quality research in economics, finance and business with a focus on European economies.
We have the honour of hosting the renowned professor of finance, Simon Benninga from Tel Aviv University and professor Josef C. Brada from Arizona State University, as keynote speakers.
- 17 - 19 June 2012, 4th ECEE
- 12 - 14 June 2011, 3rd ECEE
- 13 - 15 June 2010, 2nd ECEE
- 14 - 16 June 2009, 1st ECEE
- Labour market
- Financial markets
- Economic environment
- International business
You are kindly invited to submit papers for this conference. We would especially encourage submissions on:
- implications of the European debt crisis and expected recovery;
- macroeconomic effects and economic policy considerations under global turbulence;
- consequences of economic fluctuations on the financial sector and related opportunities;
- labour market responses to the changing economic environment;
- real sector implications of economic distress and related opportunities for recovery;
- economic convergence/disintegration issues in enlarged Europe;
- comparative regional studies (e.g. Nordic countries, CEE countries etc)
Submissions on other topics falling under one of the Conference Tracks (see above) are also very welcome.
Authors are invited to submit extended abstracts of their papers latest by 7 April 2013 electronically (MS Word or PDF format) by e-mail to email@example.com. The submitted file should be named with the last name and first initial of the first author (e.g. "SmithJ.doc"). The extended abstract should start with the title of the paper; name of the author(s); affiliation, mailing address, telephone, and E-mail addresses of the author(s); and preferable Conference Track (see above) for the paper. The subsequent extended abstract of 400-500 words should outline the background, methodology, data, results and main contribution of the paper. Only abstracts of papers which have not already been published or accepted for publication in journals will be considered.
The Conference Committee will review all submissions and the submitting authors will be notified of the decision latest by 1 April 2013. After notification of acceptance, a full paper must be submitted by 15 May 2013 by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Unless you instruct us otherwise, all accepted papers will be included on the Conference CD, supplied with an ISBN number. The CDs will be issued by Tallinn University of Technology and will be distributed to all registered participants during the conference.
If you wish your paper to be considered for journal publication, please submit your final full paper, incorporating any changes arising from the discussion and feedback received at the conference, by e-mail to email@example.com by 1 August 2013 (I round), or if not ready by that time, please submit your final paper by 15 September 2013 (II round).
All papers accepted for the conference are eligible to be considered for publication in the regular or special issues of one of the following international peer-reviewed academic journals:
- Emerging Markets Finance and Trade (EMFT). The articles in EMFT are indexed/abstracted in Thomson Reuters Current Contents/Social and Behavioral Sciences; Social Sciences Citation Index and other databases. EMFT is published by the Society for the Study of Emerging Markets and M.E.Sharpe Inc. (USA).
- Eastern European Economics (EEE). The articles in EEE are also indexed/abstracted in Thomson Reuters Current Contents/Social and Behavioral Sciences; Social Sciences Citation Index and other databases. EEE is published by M.E.Sharpe Inc. (USA).
- Research in Economics and Business: Central and Eastern Europe (REB). REB is indexed in EBSCO, EconLit and other databases and is published by Tallinn School of Economics and Business Administration of the Tallinn University of Technology (Estonia).
- Comparative Economic Studies (CES). The articles in CES are indexed/abstracted in International Bibliography of the Social Sciences and other databases. CES is published by Palgrave Macmillan (UK).
- Baltic Journal of Economics (BJE). BJE is abstracted and/or indexed in Thomson Reuters Social Sciences Citation Index, EconLit, EBSCO as well as other databases; and is published by SSE Riga and Baltic International Centre for Economic Policy studies (Latvia).
Papers will be reviewed for the above journals following their normal review criteria. Please note that the acceptance of a paper to the conference is not a guarantee of publication, but only a limited number of outstanding papers will be published by the journals.
If you wish your paper to be considered for journal publication, please send us your final full paper, incorporating any changes arising from the discussion and feedback received at the conference, by 1 August 2013 (I round) or by 15 September 2013 (II round). See Submissions for further information.
All accepted papers will be included on the Conference CD (supplied with an ISBN number), issued by Tallinn University of Technology.
The conference will begin with Welcome Reception in the evening of Sunday, 16 June 2013 which will will be held in the 600 year old Great Guild Hall, one of the most prominent medieval buildings in Tallinn. The Welcome Reception is preceded by a combined bus and walking tour in Tallinn for those who are interested.
Monday, 17 June 2013 will start with a plenary session in the morning. We have the pleasure of hosting Professor Simon Benninga from Tel Aviv University and Professor Josef C. Brada from Arizona State University as keynote speakers. The plenary session is followed by parallel sessions until evening. The day will end with Conference Dinner which will be held in restaurant Platz in historic Rotermann Quarter situated in the heart of Tallinn.
Tuesday, 18 June 2013 will be fully devoted to parallel sessions.
All the above events plus lunch and coffee-breaks on both conference days, as well as a Conference CD, are included within the participation fee. Accommodation, transportation and any other costs are excluded from the participation fee. However, a limited block of rooms will be reserved at the conference hotel and can be booked by participants at special rates on a first come, first served basis.
The conference language is English.
The conference venue will be Hotel Euroopa, a 4-star hotel in Tallinn city centre, walking distance from the Old Town. The hotel address is Paadi 5. A limited block of rooms has been reserved at the conference hotel for 16 - 19 June 2013 and can be booked by participants at special rates on a first come, first served basis.
The conference hotel is a short taxi ride from the airport and bus station. The hotel is connected to both the airport (Lennujaam) and the bus station (Autobussijaam) also by bus no 2, the bus stop (Reisisadam D-terminal) is in close proximity to the hotel. The ferry terminal for sea connections to Finland and Sweden is a walking distance from the hotel.
- Prof. Aaro Hazak, Tallinn School of Economics and Business Administration, Tallinn University of Technology; Chair of the Organising Committee (Estonia)
- Prof. Josef C. Brada, Department of Economics, Arizona State University; Editor, Eastern European Economics; Editor, Comparative Economic Studies (USA)
- Prof. Ali M. Kutan, Southern Illinois University; Editor, Emerging Markets Finance and Trade (USA)
- Dr. Juan Carlos Cuestas, University of Sheffield (United Kingdom)
- Dr. Laivi Laidroo, Tallinn School of Economics and Business Administration, Tallinn University of Technology (Estonia)
- Dr. Martti Randveer, Head of Research Department, Bank of Estonia (Estonia)
- Mrs. Liina Kulu, Development Coordinator, Bank of Estonia (Estonia)
- Prof. Jüri Sepp, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, University of Tartu (Estonia)
Mrs. Liis Saks
Telephone: +372 6 204 057
Tallinn University of Technology
Tallinn School of Economics and Business Administration
Akadeemia tee 3