For upcoming events please visit www.taltech.ee/en/ecee.
The 9th International Conference & Summer School Economic Challenges in Enlarged Europe took place from 11 – 16 June 2017 in Tallinn and the Nelijärve lake resort.
The event aims to bring together academics as well as practitioners to discuss topical issues and disseminate high quality research in economics, finance and related areas of study with a European focus.
The short courses develop academic publishing skills and cover some special topics in economics and finance.
The event series is organised by Tallinn University of Technology in collaboration with Eesti Pank (Central Bank of Estonia), Society for the Study of Emerging Markets (USA) and Association for the Study of East European Economies and Cultures (USA).
We have the honour of hosting the renowned professor of economics, Josef C. Brada from Arizona State University (USA), as keynote speaker.
Professor Ali M. Kutan from Southern Illinois University (USA), Editor of Emerging Markets Finance and Trade and Co-Editor of Economic Systems, will give a half-day course on how to publish in top economics and finance journals.
Tal Mofkadi, PhD (Tel Aviv University) will deliver a short course on topics in financial modelling, and Kevin R. James, PhD (London School of Economics) on the interrelations between financial markets and economic performance.
- Publishing in Top Economics and Finance Journals, by Prof. Ali M. Kutan (Southern Illinois University)
- Financial Markets and Economic Performance, by Kevin R. James (London School of Economics)
- Corporate Valuation and Financial Modelling, by Tal Mofkadi (Tel Aviv University)
The project is supported by up to 29 854,35 euros from the European Regional Development Fund of the EU. The aim of the project is to organise the 9th international conference "Economic Challenges in Enlarged Europe", which results in international exchange of knowledge between researchers and doctoral students in economics, finance and related areas.
- Work & Labour Market
- Economic Environment
You are kindly invited to submit papers for this conference. We would especially encourage submissions on:
- macroeconomic effects and economic policy considerations under global change;
- consequences of economic fluctuations on the financial sector and related opportunities;
- real sector implications and labour market responses to the changing economic environment;
- economic development and convergence/disintegration issues in enlarged Europe;
- work arrangements in the changing socio-economic context;
- financial decisions and considerations in the complex economic environment;
- regulatory efficiency in Europe and its economic and policy implications;
- comparative regional studies (e.g. Nordic countries, CEE countries, Western/Southern European countries, non-EU countries etc).
Submissions on other topics falling under one of the thematic tracks (see above) are also very welcome.
Authors are invited to submit extended abstracts of their papers by 15 January 2017 (I round) or 15 March 2017 (II round) electronically (MS Word or PDF format) by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. The submitted file should be named with the last name and first initial of the first author (e.g. "SmithJ.doc"). The extended abstract should start with the title of the paper; name of the author(s); affiliation, mailing address, telephone, and E-mail addresses of the author(s); and preferable track (see above) for the paper. The subsequent extended abstract of 400-500 words should outline the background, methodology, data, results and main contribution of the paper. Only abstracts of papers which have not already been published or accepted for publication in journals will be considered.
The Academic Committee will review all submissions and the submitting authors will be notified of the decision by 1 February 2017 (I round) or 1 April 2017 (II round). After notification of acceptance, a full paper must be submitted by 15 May 2017 by e-mail to email@example.com. Unless you instruct us otherwise, all accepted papers will be included on the Conference CD, supplied with an ISSN number. The CDs will be issued by Tallinn University of Technology and will be distributed to all registered participants during the event.
If you wish your paper to be considered for journal publication, please submit your final full paper, incorporating any changes arising from the discussion and feedback received at the event, by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org by 1 August 2017 (I round), or if not ready by that time, please submit your final paper by 15 September 2017 (II round).
All accepted papers are eligible to be considered for publication in the regular or special issues of one of the following international peer-reviewed academic journals:
- Journal of Comparative Economics (JCE). JCE is published by Elsevier, and the papers are indexed/abstracted in Thomson Reuters and other databases.
- Emerging Markets Finance and Trade (EMFT). The articles in EMFT are indexed/abstracted in Thomson Reuters, Scopus and many other databases. EMFT is published by Taylor & Francis.
- Eastern European Economics (EEE). The articles in EEE are indexed/abstracted in Thomson Reuters, Scopus and other databases. EEE is published by Taylor & Francis.
- Journal of Institutional Economics (JOIE). JOIE articles are indexed in Thomsons Reuters, Scopus, ERIH PLUS and many other databases. JOIE is published by Cambridge University Press.
- Comparative Economic Studies (CES). The articles in CES are indexed/abstracted in Scopus and other databases. CES is published by Palgrave Macmillan.
- Baltic Journal of Economics (BJE). The articles in BJE are indexed/abstracted in Thomson Reuters, Scopus and other databases. BJE is published by Taylor & Francis.
- Baltic Journal of Management (BJM). BJM is abstracted/indexed in Thomson Reuters, Scopus as well as other databases; and is published by Emerald Group Publishing.
- Baltic Journal of European Studies (BJES). BJES is abstracted/indexed in Scopus and other databases. BJES is published by De Gruyter.
- Research in Economics and Business: Central and Eastern Europe (REB). REB is indexed in RePEc and other databases and is published by Tallinn School of Economics and Business Administration of the Tallinn University of Technology.
Papers will be reviewed for the above journals following their normal review criteria. Please note that the acceptance of a paper for presentation is not a guarantee of publication, but only a limited number of outstanding papers will be published by the journals.
If you wish your paper to be considered for journal publication, please send us your final full paper, incorporating any changes arising from the discussion and feedback received, by 1 August 2017 (I round) or by 15 September 2017 (II round). See Submissions for further information.
All accepted papers will be included on the Conference CD (supplied with an ISSN number), issued by Tallinn University of Technology.
The event will begin with Welcome Reception in the evening of Sunday, 11 June 2017. The Welcome Reception on 11 June 2017 will be held in the 314 metres high Tallinn TV Tower with marvellous views over Tallinn, the Gulf of Finland and Northern Estonia and is preceded by a combined bus and walking tour in Tallinn for those who are interested.
Monday, 12 June will start with a plenary session in the morning, followed by parallel sessions until evening. The day will end with a dinner. For a change, this year we will experience the famous cuisine of our big neighbour to the East. The dinner with Russian style food will be held in restaurant Troika situated right in the middle of Tallinn Old Town, on the Town Hall Square (Raekoja Plats).
Tuesday, 13 June will be devoted to parallel sessions.
Wednesday, 14 June to Friday, 16 June is devoted to the short courses.
The working language is English.
The venue of the 11-13 June 2017 events (keynote lectures and paper presentations) will be the conference centre of Hotel Euroopa, a 4-star hotel in Tallinn city centre, walking distance from the Old Town. The hotel address is Paadi 5.
The hotel is a short taxi ride from the airport and bus station. The hotel is connected to both the airport (Lennujaam) and the bus station (Autobussijaam) also by bus no 2, the bus stop (Reisisadam D-terminal) is in close proximity to the hotel. The ferry terminal for sea connections to Finland and Sweden is a walking distance from the hotel.
The venue for the 14-16 June 2017 events will be the Nelijärve lakeside resort, 66 kilometres from Tallinn. A bus from Hotel Euroopa in Tallinn will take the participants to Nelijärve on 14 June morning and back to Tallinn on 16 June evening.
- Prof. Aaro Hazak, Tallinn University of Technology; Chair of the Conference Committee (Estonia)
- Prof. Josef C. Brada, Arizona State University; Editor, Eastern European Economics; Editor, Comparative Economic Studies (USA)
- Prof. Ali M. Kutan, Southern Illinois University; Editor, Emerging Markets Finance and Trade (USA)
- Prof. Tanel Kerikmäe, Tallinn University of Technology; Editor: Baltic Journal of European Studies (Estonia)
- Prof. Kadri Männasoo, Tallinn University of Technology (Estonia)
- Prof. Juan Carlos Cuestas, Tallinn University of Technology, Bank of Estonia (Estonia)
- Dr. Laivi Laidroo, Tallinn University of Technology (Estonia)
- Dr. Martti Randveer, Bank of Estonia (Estonia)
- Mrs. Liina Kulu, Bank of Estonia (Estonia)
- Prof. Jüri Sepp, University of Tartu (Estonia)
Mrs. Anneli Kalm
Telephone: +372 620 3945
Tallinn University of Technology
Akadeemia tee 3