WE ARE EDUCATING FUTURE LEADERS AND EXPERTS OF DIGITAL TRANSFORMATION IN OUR SOCIETY AND ORGANISATIONS
WHAT WE OFFER TO STUDENTS:
- students can familiarize with digital solutions and get insight and access to Estonian world-class know how
- hands-on collaboration with practitioners in the e-Governance field along the possibility to meet and cooperate with experienced lectures and experts both from private and public sector - participation in workshops with representatives from Estonian e-Governance Academy, ITL cluster and MKM
- cooperation closely related to the Next Gen research group offering students a possibility to do research in e-governance field as well as take part in new development projects
We provide an inspiring insight to topics like information society principles towards e-Governance, we are covering the legal framework of e-Governance, we are offering the essential knowledge regarding the information management and digital archiving in order to preserve the digital content which we are creating today. Very important is to understand the public sector service design and implementation in order to be in line with the developments of the digital society.
Degree: Master of Science in Engineering (MSc)
Duration: 2 years
Faculty: School of Information Technologies
Study Load: 120 ECTS (view curriculum)
Mode of Study: Full-time study
Students for TalTech international study programmes are admitted based on the admission threshold. Online interview will be conducted only to candidates who have passed preliminary evaluation. The maximum score for the motivation letter and for the online interview is 20 points. An applicant who receives the minimum of 10 points is admitted.
Programme Specific Requirements
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in IT, ICT, Economics, Public Management, Law, Marketing, Business Administration, International Relations.
In order to qualify for the studies in Tallinn University of Technology, an applicant has to have at least 60% of the highest possible CGPA.
In order to apply, a candidate is required to upload a Test-taker Score Report of the GRE General Test to the DreamApply application system with the necessary threshold scores:
- Verbal Reasoning at least 145
- Quantitative Reasoning at least 150
- Analytical Writing score at least 3.0
This is a prerequisite for qualifying and has to be fulfilled latest by the application deadline.
Candidates who have obtained a full Bachelor's degree in EU, EFTA or OECD member state are waived from the GRE requirement.
Please see more information about our GRE General Test requirement here, including the exact eligibility criteria for being exempted from this prerequisite and how to order the test result electronically to TalTech.
Please include the following:
- clearly defined perspectives and motivation for developing the information society and e-governance era;
- logical, analytical and comprehensive description of e-governance based on the country candidate chooses to take as an example;
- previous experiences in the field, practical work experience in public sector or with the technical solutions used in public sector;
- proposals for future master's thesis topic in the field of e-governance technologies and/or services;
- grammatically correct and fluent English.
NB! It is important to properly cite and reference any sources used in your motivation letter (quotations, publications, ideas etc. that are not your own). Neglecting the rules of referencing and citation is considered plagiarism and will result in the disqualification of your application.
Positive scale: 5-10 points
Candidate needs to attach a CV (Europass Format, in English) that is clearly stating previous educational and professional background, participation in trainings and publication list if any.
The division of points:
- It is possible to receive up to 2 point for each aspect. The maximum amount of points for the entire Letter of Motivation is 10, while the positive range is 5-10 points
- 0 points will be given for the failure to send the Letter of Motivation and Curriculum Vitae.
In order to be invited to the interview, candidate should get at least 5 points for the motivation letter.
During the interview the following aspects will be evaluated:
communication and presentation skills;
level of e-governance awareness;
motivation to complete selected study programme as well as to contribute to the field by applying the acquired knowledge in future career;
analytical thinking and argumentation skills;
ability to work on concrete projects both in a team and individually.
Duration of the interview is approximately 10 minutes.
Positive scale: 5-10 points
The programme gives students broad knowledge on developing a modern state, its transition to e-governance and paperless management. Studies include a wide overview of administrative and legal aspects of e-governance.
What you can expect from this Master's programme:
Access to world-class know-how
Hands-on collaboration with practitioners in the field
Why this programme?
The programme focuses on designing, developing and improving governmental systems and implementing e-government components on every state level
Specialisation in IT, innovation/services in public and private sectors or adoption and marketing of e-governance
User-oriented services offered by government that are based on ICT
Offers experience in the field, practical research and project work already during studies
Curriculum is closely related to “e-state technologies laboratory” offering students a possibility to do research in e-governance field as well as take part in new development projects
CURRICULUM OUTLINE (120 ECTS)
- General studies - cover information society principles: towards e-Governance, legal framework of e-governance, introduction to IT and eGov technologies, software process and quality, IT Solutions of e-government, etc.
- Core studies - include such courses as e-Governance technologies and services master's project, enterprise architecture and BPM, introduction to development in cloud, Basics of e-Health, etc.
- Special studies - consist of courses about foundations of cyber security, public sector service design and implementation, information management and digital archiving, impact and measurement of e-Governance, entrepreneurship project, etc.
- Free choice courses - students can choose from the wide variety of courses offered at the university.
- Graduation thesis - a practical written project with a strong theoretical background focused on e-Governance and ICT.
The curriculum will help to prepare managers and specialists responsible for the development of e-Governance, who are able to comprehend the business processes and the management of public administration; and are familiar with the information systems and software development.
Giving students a broad knowledge about the transition to e-governance, its management and development, helps graduates to work as a public sector high-level officials whilst leading eGov projects by having also a wider overview of administrative and legal aspects of e- governance.
Master’s degree holders have the opportunity to continue their studies in the PhD programme.
What students say
If you graduate from our Study programme you will be successful as:
I am Florian Lemke from Germany and I graduated in 2018 from Tallinn Tech. I am working for Capgemini Germany in Berlin, the city I was born at. I am advising especially German Regional Governments in their long process of digital transformation on a strategic and technical dimension. I founded a disruptive Startup in Asia (Hong Kong) right after my graduation. The e-Governance Technologies and Services Program at Tallinn University of Technology provided me with the knowledge and understanding of innovation, technology, public- as well as business administration. The immense flexibility and possibility for gaining international experience on TTÜ’s partner universities has made me become an expert on Asian and European e-government solutions, due to my exchange studies at Beijing Institute of Technology in the Peoples Republic of China. Considering this, I can develop just the best e-solutions for my own country. Estonia has been the best place in the world to study e-government to become one of the future leaders in the e-government field. The diverse and interdisciplinary program has shaped more than just my career. It has shaped my personality and life.
Earning Master’s Degree in e-Governance Technologies and Services at Tallinn University of Technology (TTU) has had a strong impact on my personal and professional development. The program has a broad curriculum that covers all major areas of implementing e-Governance services. It combines several elements that make it a compelling choice for students who would like to develop an understanding of Information and Communication Technologies.
I am currently working in the e-Governance field as a Service Development Analyst at Municipal Service Development Agency of Tbilisi City Hall (MSDA). Our agency creates and implements electronic systems customized for municipal activities. Programs that are developed by MSDA are intended for internal organizational activities, citizens, and external users. It can be emphasized that the services MSDA carries out further improve efficiency and make it more accessible and user-friendly for citizens.
Given the fact that Estonia is one of the first countries in the e-Governance field, it has greatly influenced development of e-Governance in Georgia. The education TTU provided has had a tremendous impact on my career and has enabled me to better manage projects at my current job. I am proud to be part of the program.
TTÜ Master programme on E-Governance Technologies and Services equipped me with the modern interdisciplinary background. E-governance is such a field where a specialist needs to draw from various disciplines: IT, law, project management, public administration and other kinds of social sciences. All these directions were covered by the programme! So, I regularly use this background to overcome different challenges when creating e-governance solutions in Ukraine. But probably the most valuable intake from the Master’s is connections with international experts and students in e-governance that I met in Tallinn.
Last two years, I worked at Transparency International Ukraine on two projects: monitoring ProZorro e-procurement system and developing ProZorro.Sale e-sales system. My position was a project manager. Currently, I work as a consultant at the Expert Deployment for Governance and Economic Growth in Ukraine on the project of creating National E-Platform for Schools.
More to discover
TalTech international admissions office
TalTech international admissions office provides general advice to prospective Bachelor’s and Master’s degree applicants and their advisers about applying to and studying at TalTech.
Contact TalTech admissions office
Student Counsellor of e-Governance Technologies and Services
Student counsellor can help you with questions about the Master's study programme.
(+372) 5884 3935
Contact a Student Ambassador
Student Ambassador can help you with questions about living in Estonia, travelling to Estonia, work and housing options or free time activities for students.
Find a Student Ambassador