Tallinn University of Technology

Health insurance rights in the European Union.
The European Health Insurance Card (EHIF) is a free card that gives the citizens of EU Member States access to medically necessary state-provided healthcare during a temporary stay in any of the 28 EU countries, Iceland, Lichtenstein, Norway and Switzerland, under the same conditions and the same cost (free in some countries) as people insured in that country. Cards are issued by your national health insurance provider.
The European Health Insurance Card:

  • Is not alternative to travel insurance. It does not cover any private healthcare or costs, such as a return flight to your home country or lost/stolen property
  • Does not cover your costs if you are travelling for the express purpose of obtaining medical treatment
  • Does not guarantee free services. As each country’s healthcare system is different, services that cost nothing at home might not be in another country

When you move your primary residence to another country, you should register with the S1 form and deregister from the previous health system instead of using the EHIF to receive medical care in your new country of habitual residence.

There are two types of health insurance in Estonia: EHIF coverage and private insurance. Some companies, mentioned in Estonian Health Board Brochure are pointed out here:

INGES: www.inges.ee/en
ERGO: www.ergo.ee/en
Salva: https://www.salva.ee/en
Swisscare: www.swisscare.com
Cigna: www.cignaglobal.com

If you are a non-EU citizen you have to have an insurance contract for 2-3 months upon arrival guaranteeing that any costs related to your medical treatment as a result of illness or injury during the period of validity of the residence permit applied for will be met. An alien who has been granted a visa is not covered by Estonian health insurance.

TalTech doesn't offer any kind of insurance for students.

Health insurance contract must be valid in Estonia during the whole study period!

FAQ: Do I need an additional health insurance? - YES!

Generally young people are healthy and they do not need any additional health care, but you never know what may happen.

  • A student became ill, friends called the ambulance, doctors came and made injection. Another student, who watched the procedure, fainted and hurt his neck. The treatment was quite long, uncomfortable and expensive.
  • Another student had pneumonia and spend couple of weeks in the hospital where the treatment was expensive. He had insurance, everything was covered by health insurance company.
  • There was a semester, when streets were slippery, several exchange students fell and broke their legs or arms.