Laboratory of Fuels Technology acts as a laboratory of TalTech Virumaa College Oil Shale Competence Center and is the only one descendant of the wide-ranging scientific activities of the former Institute of Oil Shale.
The area of the laboratory activity: solid and liquid fuels analyses and thermal processing investigations.
The laboratory has got Accreditation Certificate no L059 in the field of liquid and solid fuels analyses.
Head of the research group: head of laboratory OLGA PIHL
Read more: Laboratory of Fuel Technology
Head of the research group: professor ALLAN NIIDU (phone: +372 5624 1488, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Bijan Barghi, PhD student, email@example.com
- Masters student Maria Kuusik
- One PhD position available
Co-valorization of CO2 and oil shale into catalysts and adsorbents for chemical industry. Application of said catalysts to oxidation of organic sulfur and relevant adsorbents to adsorb sulfurous compounds form liquid hydrocarbon streams. Extracting added value from mining waste and process waters via selective removal of required metals. In cooperation with Industrial Chemistry group research into oxidative valorization of kerogen is conducted.
- Niidu, A. PHENOLS TO PORES TO ADSORPTION: A POTENTIAL ROUTE TOWARDS NEW METHODS FOR EXTRACTING VALUE FROM SHALE OIL SIDE STREAM Oil Shale, 2019, 36(2S), 128-141.
- Olga Pihl, Allan Niidu, Nadezda Merkulova, Mihhail Fomitsov, Andres Siirde, Maria Tshepelevitsh, GAS-CHROMATOGRAPHIC DETERMINATION OF SULFUR COMPOUNDS IN THE GASOLINE FRACTIONS OF SHALE OIL AND OIL OBTAINED FROM USED TIRES Oil Shale, 2019, 36(2S), 188-196.
- Hernández, J. G.; Halasz, I.; Crawford, D. E.; Krupicka, M.; Baláž, M.; André, V.; Vella-Zarb, L.; Niidu, A.; García, F.; Maini, L.; Colacino, E. European Research in Focus: Mechanochemistry for Sustainable Industry (COST Action MechSustInd ): European Research in Focus: Mechanochemistry for Sustainable Industry (COST Action MechSustInd ). Eur. J. Org. Chem. 2020, 2020 (1), 8–9. https://doi.org/10.1002/ejoc.201901718.
Academic Development Plan Priorities
Valorization of environmental resources
Projects owned and participated
- LEVEE20069 Applied research into reduction of sulfur containing compounds in shale oil products.
- F19044 Valorization of oil shale produkts and widening the scope of activities of Oil Shale Competence Centre.
- F20057 Startegy of carbon waste utilisation with piloting industriaal symbiosis
Head of the team is active member of COST Action 18112 “Mechanochemistry for sustainable industry” core group and as such, responsible for the industrial relations.
Metal-organic framework, CO2 adsorption and utilization (CCSU), heterogeneous catalysis, adsorption, nanomaterials, liquid separation, oil shale as raw material for chemical industry, mechanochemistry.