Tallinn University of Technology

Non-EU Students, whose study period is longer than 3 months are not advised to enter Estonia visa free, as it is not in accordance with the laws and regulations of visa-free travelling and it may cause problems when reaching the first Schengen area country.

Non-EU students, who will stay to Estonia less than a year.
When non-EU student holds a Residence Permit or D-type visa of any other EU Country, which is issued for studies, (it has to be written on the document, based on the EU directive 2016/801 ) and the Residence Permit/Visa is valid during the study period, the student has a right to study in Estonia. 


Citizens of the member states of the European Union and the European Economic Area and the Swiss Confederation (“EU citizens”) have the right to stay in Estonia on the basis of a valid travel document or identity card for the period of up to 3 months/90 days. Later the registration of place of residence and applying for Estonian ID card is required.

D-visa may be issued for the period of stay of up to 365 days within twelve consecutive months and it allows to stay in other Schengen Member States up to 90 days within the period of 180 days. The visa will be issued only for the study period.

Approximately 10-14 workdays. It may take longer, when additional documents are required.
Link to D-visa information

  • travel document which is issued within previous 10 years, contains at least two blank pages for visas and is valid at least 3 months after the expiration date of the visa;
  • fully completed and signed application form
  • a photo (size 35x45 mm);
  • insurance policy covering expenses due to illness or injury during the period of validity of the visa, in case of a multiple entry visa until the end of the first intended period of stay
  • documents indicating the purpose of journey, e.g. confirmation letter from the host or documents proving that applicant is going to work, do internship in Estonia (confirmation from the employer, registration of short-term employment) or documents proving that applicant is going to study in Estonia. During the examination of an application, a consular officer may request additional documents.
  •  at the time of submission of the application, biometrical data – 10 fingerprints of the applicant is collected; children under the age of 12 and persons for whom fingerprinting is physically impossible shall be exempt from the requirement to give fingerprints;
  • a confirmation letter from the host; (you will get visa invitation letter from Mobility Center).
  • any information which supports an applicant intention to leave the Schengen area before the expiry of the visa;

  • TalTech issues a confirmation letter from the host university (visa invitation), online Letter of Acceptance is meant for the student and his/her home university coordinator.
  • Please inform us ASAP, where (list of visa handling Embassies) and when and where are you going to apply for a visa? Estonia does not have Embassy in all the countries around the world, which means, you may need travel to another country for visa application.
  • You may apply for visa also in Estonia if you have the right to enter Estonia visa free, then you get the confirmation letter for Estonian Police and Boarder Guard at TalTech.
  • Before applying an internship your short-term employment must be registered at the Estonian Police and Border Guard Board. This is done by Mobility Centre of TalTech.

    name Tallinn University of Technology/TalTech
    Office of Academic Affairs, Mobilty Centre

  • address: Street Ehitajate tee no 5, zip code 19086, city: Tallinn, country: ESTONIA
  • TEL: +372 620 3517
  • Registry code of TalTech: 74000323
  • E-mail: incoming@taltech.ee

Pay attention, that there are few Estonian Embassies in the world, who issue D-visas

There are countries, where Estonia is represented by another country, where you apply for short term visa.

    100 EUR

    • You are guest of Estonia
    • No need to register residence in Tallinn
    • Public transportation in Tallinn costs 30 eur per month
    • A long-stay (D) visa enables to travel in the Schengen area for 90 days within the period of 180 days period