Tallinn University of Technology

Legal Basis for Staying in Estonia

All students who are not Estonian citizens need to apply for a visa, temporary residence permit or register their place of residence in Estonia.

1. D-Visa application in Estonian Embassy

All exchange and degree students from outside of the European Union should apply for a long-stay D-visa in order to enter Estonia for studies. D-visa gives you the right to enter Estonia and stay here long enough to receive a residence permit. D-visa may be issued with a period of stay up to 365 days. If your study period exceeds 1 year you should apply for a temporary residence permit as well; for that, see the next section.

You should apply for a D-visa at the closest Estonian Embassy in your country or abroad.

You can pre-fill the D-visa application form online here

See the Estonian Ministry of Foreign Affairs website for more information and a list of documents.

D-visa allows you to enter Estonia and stay here for a year. But if you are a degree student and will stay in Estonia for more than one year, you will also need a Temporary Residence Permit

2. D-Visa application in Estonia

Prior to submitting D-visa applications at a Police and Border Guard Board Service Point, the applicants need to fill out the form online and bring it to the service point. D-visa appointments need to be booked online.

Instructions for filling the form:

  1. Open the form 
  2. Select D-visa
  3. Choose language
  4. Insert the e-mail address and required symbols
  5. Fill out the form according to the instructions
  6. Print and sign the form (it will be sent to your e-mail as well)
  7. Bring the signed form and necessary documents to the service point for the D-Visa application (it is recommended to book an appointment)

1. Applying for TRP

All Bachelor/Master/Ph.D. students from outside of the European Union must apply for a temporary residence permit immediately after arriving in Estonia at the Estonian Police and Border Guard Board (PBGB) office.

Information is also available on the Police and Border Guard Board website.

You must reserve a time at the Estonian Police and Border Guard Board office. Reservations can be done by phone at +372 612 3000 or through the PBGB webpageAppointments can be booked up to three months in advance.

You will need the following documents:

2. Registering a place of residence

After you have received your TRP, you must register your place of residence.

This can be done by submitting the notice of residence online, by post, or onsite at the Tallinn District Administration register offices, following these instructions.

The locations and opening hours of your District Administration register office can be found here. The notice of residence must be submitted to the district office of your place of residence.

3. Legal requirements for keeping TRP

TRP is issued for students covering full-time curriculum (Aliens Act 2010 §162(2)). In case the student fails to follow a full-time curriculum or takes academic leave, the TRP will be canceled.

Covering the full-time curriculum means completing at least 75% of the study load (45 ECTS) by the end of each academic year (Universities Act §23).  

4. Expiry and extension

When your TRP expires or you graduate, you have the right to stay in Estonia for an additional 270 days. This is not applicable if the TRP is canceled.

Extension of residence permit beyond the nominal time is only possible in case of  exceptional study-related circumstances. After the expiry of the TRP, you have a legal basis to stay in Estonia for an additional 270 days (9 months) to finish your studies and make further arrangements. During this, you are also allowed to work and can ask the PBGB to issue a passport sticker for traveling. Should you not be able to graduate within the additional 9 months, you are instructed to apply for a new D-Visa as a current student.

If it is necessary to apply for a one-time extension of your TRP, you have to fulfill the following conditions:

1. You must continue as a full-time student. Your dean's office will check this and issue a relevant certificate.

2. You must apply for an extension at least 2 months prior to the expiry of the current residence permit.

First, you should send the full-time studies certificate to the International Admissions Office and request from them the form about the grounds for an extension that needs to be completed. The Admissions Office will then assess the basis for extension and inform you of the following steps. 

If the basis is sufficient, the next step is to submit an application for an extension of a temporary residence permit in person at an Estonian Police and Border Guard Board office at least two months prior to the expiry of the current residence permit. The requirements for extending TRP for studies can be found on the PBGB website

You must reserve a time at the Estonian Police and Border Guard Board office. Reservation can be made by phone at +372 612 3000 or through the PBGB webpageIf your fingerprints were taken within the last 6 years and you have a valid residence card, you can also have your residence permit extended by e-mail.

1. Registering a place of residence

EU students who come to Estonia for more than 3 months must register their place of residence in Estonia within a period of one month from your arrival. Before applying for an ID card, you must request an Estonian ID code by registering your place of residence.

Please see options for submitting the notice of residence online, by post, and onsite HERE

Please see the locations and opening hours of District Administration Offices on the Districts of Tallinn page.

2. Applying for an Estonian ID card

After registering the place of stay with the City District Administration Office, the next step is to apply for an ID card at an Estonian Police and Border Guard service point. 

You must reserve a time at the Estonian Police and Border Guard Board office. Reservation can be done by phone at +372 612 3000 or through the PBGB webpage.

You will need the following documents:

It is possible to take the photo and pay the state fee at the service point. You can see more information on the Police and Border Guard Board website.

Migration Consultants

Migration Advisors at the Police and Border Guard Board will help you to understand the legal particularities related to the residence permit, visa, and migration-related issues in general.

The consultants work in EstonianEnglish, and Russian.  The service is free of charge.

Phone: +372 612 3500 (Mon-Fri 9.00-15.00)

E-mail: migrationadvice@politsei.ee

Skype: EstonianPolice_MigrationAdvice (needs pre-booking)


TalTech Student Campus has about 2200 accommodation places. Most of our buildings are located near Tallinn University of Technology. All houses have different room and apartment types; there are also amenities for washing laundry and parking your car or bicycle.

Whether you're a new student applying to one of the TalTech student dormitories or you’re looking for assistance with your off-campus apartment search, we can help.

Please visit the TalTech Student Housing website for details about the dormitory.

Healthcare in Estonia

A brief overview of the healthcare system in Estonia can be found in this booklet which was prepared by the Estonian Health Board and the Ministry of the Interior.

The Health Insurance Fund (Tervisekassa) is provided only for those higher education students who are permanent residents of Estonia. This means that international students must have a private health insurance policy or a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).

NOTE! Students are required to present a valid copy of the health insurance policy to the International Admissions Office. This should be done within 2 months from the arrival or renewal of an insurance contract.

Below you will find information about the insurance and an overview of the healthcare system in Estonia for both EU and non-EU students.

If you are an EU citizen, you should apply for the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) from the social service authorities in your home country before arriving in Estonia. Please bring your EHIC card or its replacement certificate with you to prove your eligibility for Estonian healthcare.

NOTE! TalTech highly recommends obtaining additional health insurance for EHIC. It only covers necessary health care, and it is not free of charge.

EHIC is not an alternative to travel insurance. It does not cover any private healthcare, dental care, or costs, such as a return flight to your home country or lost/stolen property. 

If you have any specific questions regarding insurance matters, feel free to contact KindlustusEst via e-mail at info@kindlustusest.ee.

A student who has been granted a temporary residence permit for study is not covered by the Estonian Health Insurance Fund (Tervisekassa). Estonian Health Insurance Fund coverage becomes available to you only when you are employed in Estonia or have the right of permanent residence or a long-term residence permit.

This means that you are obliged to have an insurance contract guaranteeing that any costs related to your medical treatment as a result of illness or injury during your stay in Estonia will be covered. You are free to choose a suitable insurance provider, however, the requirements of the Estonian Police and Border Guard Board should be followed. The health insurance contract must be valid in Estonia during the whole study period.

Please note that travel insurance and health insurance are not the same. Travel insurance is accepted for a visa, however, health insurance is required for the temporary residence permit.

If you have any specific questions regarding insurance matters, feel free to contact KindlustusEst via e-mail at info@kindlustusest.ee.

Need to see a doctor?

The primary health care in Estonia is usually accessible in Estonian. Therefore, it is recommended to ask for assistance from someone who is able and willing to translate. For privacy and your complaints being described correctly, we would advise to hire a professional interpreter when visiting a doctor.

You can have a look at the list here as it shows which family physicians are available to accept new patients and how the process of registering with a family physician works.

Please see an overview of health symptoms to decide whether to stay at home, go to a family physician, or when there is a need for emergency care,  you should turn to ER.

NOTE! Please remember to take your insurance contract with you.

Everyone living in Estonia with a valid residence permit has the right to a family physician. A family physician is the first contact of a person with health concerns in the health care system who gives advice concerning the prevention of diseases, takes preventive measures, gives referrals to medical specialists if needed, issues health certificates, and certificates of incapacity for work as well as prescriptions. 

Kindly be advised that you do not always need to sign up for a specific family physician to seek medical advice. You may also turn to private clinics which provide a range of family physicians, but also specialists, willing to help you immediately. A selection of private clinics is presented below, click on the name of the clinic to get redirected to their website:

Finding a family physician
However, we recommend signing up with a family physician as soon as possible as finding a suitable practice may take time. In case you encounter difficulties in finding a suitable family physician, you may contact Health Insurance Fund (Tervisekassa) for help: +372 669 6630 or e-mail info@tervisekassa.ee.

24/7 Advisory Line | Online Consultation

If you are not able to reach your family physician but seek medical advice, you can also call the family physician counseling line by calling 1220. English speaking specialist is available every day from 15:00-17:00. Otherwise, the advice is provided in Estonian and Russian. When calling from abroad, dial +372 634 6630.

You can also get medical advice via video consultations with English-speaking doctors at MinuDoc.

In the case of emergency treatment, a person may go to the emergency room or call an ambulance. The emergency phone number 112 is always accessible from all over Estonia and is free of charge. 

Please turn to the 24/7 emergency room only in case you cannot get help from a family physician, in the evenings or at weekends in an emergency situation.

Here is an overview of health symptoms to decide whether to stay at home, go to a family physician, or when there is a need for emergency care,  you should turn to ER.

The emergency room is not far from the TalTech campus. The address is J. Sütiste tee 19.
NOTE! Please remember to take your health insurance with you.

A person needs a referral from the family physician to visit a medical specialist in Estonia.

No referral is needed to visit a psychiatrist, gynaecologist, ophthalmologist, dermatologist, dentist or infection specialist (for HIV/AIDS treatment).

Dental Care is not covered by the Health Insurance Fund in Estonia. You will have to pay for any services yourself.

The nearest dentist for TalTech students is:
Hambaravi “Hamma” 
Address: Akadeemia tee 20, 3rd floor
Telephone for registration: (+372) 656 1460 or (+372) 553 6605.

The only dentistry, which is open every day in case of toothache is Tallinn Dental Clinic.
Address: Toompuiestee 4, Tallinn
Customer Service: +372 612 1200

Pharmacists can assist with simple medical problems and help you choose the right medicine to provide fast relief for simpler symptoms. With more serious symptoms, please turn to a family physician.

The medications sold in pharmacies are divided into two categories - over-the-counter and prescription medications. There is no restriction set in place for buying over-the-counter medications, such as painkillers or vitamins. For prescription medication (e.g. antibiotics), you need a prescription from a doctor. 

Two of the pharmacies in Tallinn are open 24/7. They are located in:

  • Tõnismägi 5 (City Centre)
  • Vikerlase 19 (Lasnamägi)

Opening a Bank Account

International students usually open a bank account at one of the following banks:

  • LHV (please follow the instructions and do as much as you can online beforehand to avoid the queues; also, please visit the bank office alone)
  • Swedbank
  • SEB

At some of the banks (SEB and Swedbank, for example), it is possible to order an ISIC student card and a debit card in one. Please refer to previous information about the ISIC card for more details.

Opening bank accounts can be expensive if you don’t  have your temporary residence permit yet (this is required for non-EU citizens). Different banks have different terms and conditions and also prices for their services, so it is advisable to research beforehand in order to find out which of the service providers is the most suitable for you.

NB! To open a bank account with LHV under special conditions (your pending TRP application), please have a word with your study consultant so that you can get a certificate that proves your student status at Tallinn University of Technology.

Student ABC

The Office of Academic Affairs at Tallinn University of Technology has prepared a Student ABC in order to make your arrival and stay in Tallinn as comfortable as possible.

Take some time to read it and find out the most important steps that you have to take after your arrival, and learn more about our study system. We have also added the important contact details into the booklet, which will assist you during the course of your studies.

View Student ABC guidebook 2023/2024 as a PDF file

Orientation Days

The Orientation Days are a special programme to help you settle in during your first few days in TalTech and learn more about our university and life in Estonia in general. The Orientation Days take place at the beginning of the new academic year. 

Read more information about the Orientation Days and review the presentations of previous Orientation Days to have an overview of various topics and important information that is shared during the event. 

Useful information

Contacting the Police

Estonian Police and Border Guard Board ("Police") carries out several functions, such as:

  • issuing documents,
  • ensuring public order,
  • preventing and processing crime,
  • making sure that Estonia is a safe place to live, study and work.

Don't hesitate to contact them in case you have any issues related to the aspects above.

Emergency phone: 112

Information: 612 3000