Tallinn University of Technology

Temporary residence permit

Foreigners from outside of European Union must apply for temporary residence permit (TRP) and register their place of residence in Estonia.

There are two options to apply for the TRP:

  1. at least 3 months before arriving in Estonia, in the nearest Estonian Embassy. Then you don't need a separate D-visa;

  2. immediately after arriving to Estonia, at the Estonian Police and Border Guard Board (PBGB) office. Then you also need the D-visa.

Information is also available on the Police and Border Guard Board web site

For submitting the temporary residence permit application in the Service Office you need to make a reservation.

The nearest Service Office to TalTech is A.H Tammsaare tee 147, Tallinn.

You will need the following documents:

Extension of temporary residence permit

Please submit an application for extension of temporary residence permit in person at a Service Office at least two months prior the expiry of the current residence permit. In case if less than 5 years have passed from capturing of fingerprints, you can also apply for residence permit or extension of residence permit by post or by e-mail.

For submitting the application for extension in the Service Office you need to make a reservation.

The decision on extension or refusal to extend the temporary residence permit shall be made at the latest 10 days prior the expiry of the validity term of the temporary residence permit. The residence card shall be issued at the Service Office named on the application form.

A legal basis for stay in Estonia after the expiry of the residence permit
When a foreigner has been issued a residence permit for employment for research work or employment as a lecturer, the right to stay in Estonia shall be the legal basis of a foreigner for stay in Estonia for the 183 days following the expiry date of the period of validity of the residence permit. During this period, a foreigner has the right to work in Estonia directly arising from law. You may read more about the legal bases for stay in Estonia from here.


Temporary residence permit for settling with a spouse and a minor child

Temporary residence permit for settling with a spouse

Temporary residence permit for settling of a minor child with the parent