Water and Environmental Engineering Research Group
Research in the following fields:
- Sustainable management of water resources and water quality. Hydroengineering- studies on rivers. Climate change and its impact on water quantity and quality. Floods and droughts.
- Studies on pressures having impact on water quality. Regularities of water quality formation under natural and different anthropogenic conditions.
- Studies on river pollution loads. Water protection measures. Innovative technologies (automatic systems) for water monitoring. Studies on and mitigation measures for diffuse pollution loads.
- Urban water supply (domestic water) and sewage systems (sewerage, wastewater, stormwater), including pipelines outside and inside buildings, treatment facilities, engineering solutions and technologies, studies for improving design and construction. Pharmaceutical residues and heavy metals in municipal wastewater and sludge, as well elaboration of relevant treatment technologies. Valorisation of sewage sludge.
- Waste management. Waste utilisation. Treatment technologies for leachate from landfills, engineering solutions. Production of biogas from biodegradable waste and byproducts of processing manufacture.
The research group uses its own and accredited water quality research laboratory